We are excited to announce that the final Mendon on the Move Report is now available here: TheMendonCVReport Hard copies are at the Town Office as well.
The report includes the detailed notes and takeaways from each step of the process, as well as resource team member recommendations, their contact information, and the work plan that each task force group built at their first meeting. The report is also a wonderful compilation of assets and ideas from a large number of residents.
On 6/14/21 the Selectboard determined the town has completed research regarding the Proposed Firearm Discharge Ordinance and has decided not to pursue adoption of a Firearm Discharge Ordinance at this point in time.
The research included:
- Reviewing the history of discussion of a Firearm Discharge Ordinance in Mendon in 2015.
- Reviewing submitted comments before, during and after the Public Hearing conducted on March 15, 2021
- Interviews with the Vermont State Police, Vermont Game Warden, and Rutland County Sheriff to gather information on the history of response to complaints in Mendon regarding the unsafe discharge of a firearm, as well as ability of these law enforcement agencies to assist with enforcement of the ordinance.
- Gathered information from law enforcement agencies regarding the difference between enforcement of an ordinance and issuance of civil penalties versus criminal violations of state statute regarding the unsafe discharging of a firearm and illegal hunting.
- Researching the number of complaints submitted to the Town in the past 15 years and the nature of those complaints.
- Researching how many other municipalities in Vermont have a Firearm Discharge Ordinance and the experience in enforcing a Firearm Discharge Ordinance.
- Reviewing Firearm Discharge Ordinances adopted in other municipalities.
Safety is a priority to the Mendon Selectboard. The Selectboard encourages individuals that choose to discharge firearms and hunt in Mendon to do so safely and in accordance with state statute. The Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife is a tremendous resource for learning the safe operation of a firearm as well as how to participate in safety courses in Vermont. www.vtfishandwildlife.com
IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you start the process of grieving your assessment by filling out the application below and return to the Town Office by JUNE 17, 2021. If you miss this deadline you will have to wait until next year to grieve your assessment. Grievance Hearings start June 17, if you would like to make an appointment to speak with Spencer Potter, the Town Assessor, please call the office at 802-775-1662.
Irene Celebration Committee
The Irene Celebration Committee will be meeting on June 10, 2021 at
4:00 PM at the Singiser residence, 472 Meadowlake Drive, Mendon, VT.
The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the 10 year anniversary of
Irene in August 2021 and ways the town can acknowledge the
anniversary of this historic event.
The Town Office is now open to the public Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Masks are not required for those who have been fully vaccinated. For Land Records research we are asking that you still make an appointment so we may limit the amount of people in the building. Please call the Town Office to schedule your appointment.
Town Contact Information
Town Administrator (Sara Tully) email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 802-558-3935
Town Clerk (Nancy Gondella) email: email@example.com Phone: 802-775-1662 ext. 0
Assistant Clerk/Bookkeeper (Jesse Bridge) email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 802-775-1662 ext. 1
- Town Garage: 802-773-4402, Road Commissioner, Bill Ellis – 802-770-2169
- Constable (Phil Douglas): 802-345-5923
- Zoning Administrator (Steve Cosgrove) – 802-775-0065
- Town Assessor (Spencer Potter): 802-496-9689
- Fire Warden (Seth Bridge): 558-1944
- Delinquent Tax Collector (Nancy Merrill): 775-4689
For the most up to date information be sure to monitor our:
Front Porch Forum (www.frontporchforum.com)
The application and job description is posted below. Please submit job application to the Mendon Town Office at 2282 US Route 4, Mendon, VT or via email to Sara Tully, Town Administrator at email@example.com. Position open until filled. EOE.
The Town of Mendon is holding a tax sale at the Town office on June 24, 2021 at 1:00pm. Click below for the property up for sale.
Please see the below warning for an Irene Celebration Committee meeting
Highway Maintenance and Facilities & Grounds Maintenance Worker, seasonal full time position, 40 hours a week with competitive pay. The application and job description is posted below. Please submit job application to the Mendon Town Office at 2282 US Route 4, Mendon, VT or via email to Sara Tully, Town Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. EOE.