IT IS VERY IMPORTANT that you start the process of grieving your assessment by filling out the application below and return to the Town Office by JUNE 17, 2021. If you miss this deadline you will have to wait until next year to grieve your assessment. Grievance Hearings start June 17, if you would like to make an appointment to speak with Spencer Potter, the Town Assessor, please call the office at 802-775-1662.
The application and job description is posted below. Please submit job application to the Mendon Town Office at 2282 US Route 4, Mendon, VT or via email to Sara Tully, Town Administrator at firstname.lastname@example.org. Position open until filled. EOE.
The Town of Mendon is holding a tax sale at the Town office on June 24, 2021 at 1:00pm. Click below for the property up for sale.
Highway Maintenance and Facilities & Grounds Maintenance Worker, seasonal full time position, 40 hours a week with competitive pay. The application and job description is posted below. Please submit job application to the Mendon Town Office at 2282 US Route 4, Mendon, VT or via email to Sara Tully, Town Administrator at email@example.com. Position open until filled. EOE.
On 6/14/21 the Selectboard determined the town has completed research regarding the Proposed Firearm Discharge Ordinance and has decided not to pursue adoption of a Firearm Discharge Ordinance at this point in time.
The research included:
- Reviewing the history of discussion of a Firearm Discharge Ordinance in Mendon in 2015.
- Reviewing submitted comments before, during and after the Public Hearing conducted on March 15, 2021
- Interviews with the Vermont State Police, Vermont Game Warden, and Rutland County Sheriff to gather information on the history of response to complaints in Mendon regarding the unsafe discharge of a firearm, as well as ability of these law enforcement agencies to assist with enforcement of the ordinance.
- Gathered information from law enforcement agencies regarding the difference between enforcement of an ordinance and issuance of civil penalties versus criminal violations of state statute regarding the unsafe discharging of a firearm and illegal hunting.
- Researching the number of complaints submitted to the Town in the past 15 years and the nature of those complaints.
- Researching how many other municipalities in Vermont have a Firearm Discharge Ordinance and the experience in enforcing a Firearm Discharge Ordinance.
- Reviewing Firearm Discharge Ordinances adopted in other municipalities.
Safety is a priority to the Mendon Selectboard. The Selectboard encourages individuals that choose to discharge firearms and hunt in Mendon to do so safely and in accordance with state statute. The Vermont Department of Fish and Wildlife is a tremendous resource for learning the safe operation of a firearm as well as how to participate in safety courses in Vermont. www.vtfishandwildlife.com
Irene Celebration Committee
The Irene Celebration Committee will be meeting on June 10, 2021 at
4:00 PM at the Singiser residence, 472 Meadowlake Drive, Mendon, VT.
The purpose of this meeting is to discuss the 10 year anniversary of
Irene in August 2021 and ways the town can acknowledge the
anniversary of this historic event.
The Town Office is now open to the public Monday through Thursday from 9:00 a.m. until 4:00 p.m. Masks are not required for those who have been fully vaccinated. For Land Records research we are asking that you still make an appointment so we may limit the amount of people in the building. Please call the Town Office to schedule your appointment.
Town Contact Information
Town Administrator (Sara Tully) email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 802-558-3935
Town Clerk (Nancy Gondella) email: email@example.com Phone: 802-775-1662 ext. 0
Assistant Clerk/Bookkeeper (Jesse Bridge) email: firstname.lastname@example.org Phone: 802-775-1662 ext. 1
- Town Garage: 802-773-4402, Road Commissioner, Bill Ellis – 802-770-2169
- Constable (Phil Douglas): 802-345-5923
- Zoning Administrator (Steve Cosgrove) – 802-775-0065
- Town Assessor (Spencer Potter): 802-496-9689
- Fire Warden (Seth Bridge): 558-1944
- Delinquent Tax Collector (Nancy Merrill): 775-4689
For the most up to date information be sure to monitor our:
Front Porch Forum (www.frontporchforum.com)
Please see the below warning for an Irene Celebration Committee meeting
The Town of Mendon Selectboard will receive bids for paving. Bids are due May 24th at 10 am and may be awarded at the Selectboard Meeting that evening. The Town reserves the right to reject any or all bids. For bid specifications see the packet below or contact Bill Ellis at 773-4402.
Barstow School Board invites RNESU community members, parents, teachers and students to a three part virtual workshop on Indigenous Land Acknowledgements May 4, 18 and June 1 5:30-7:30 pm.
Indigenous Land Acknowledgements: What? Why? And Now What?
The act of creating and speaking an Indigenous land acknowledgement is a practice that is becoming more common in the eastern parts of Turtle Island. While we experience it as a moment at the beginning of a gathering, it is actually part of a bigger process for our society and for the individual.
This three-part workshop series will address the history and purpose of land acknowledgments, examine our unique contexts, and support one another as we each craft a research-based, personalized and heartfelt land acknowledgement. By acknowledging Indigenous people’s relationship to land, and exploring our own relationship to land, we will enter into a process of truth and reconciliation. Time and space will be created to consider the connections to and implications on our teaching practices.
This workshop series is designed for educators, but will benefit anyone interested in deepening their relationship to place. Presented in partnership with Gedakina and Shelburne Farms, this program is offered as a 3-part series, with each session building upon the foundation of the previous session(s). There will be land-based homework to complete between sessions. We ask that you commit to participating in all three sessions when registering.
Workshop Rhythm: 3 sessions; 2 hours per session; gathering every other week on Zoom
Please register to get the Zoom link at https://forms.gle/rTMgq7Y1Wa3ECVwm8